2017 Jelinek Summer Workshop on Speech and Language Technology (JSALT) at CMU
Watch Opening Day Presentations HERE.
Watch Plenary Lectures HERE.
The 2017 Annual Jelinek Memorial Workshop on Speech and Language Technology will be held at Carnegie Mellon University Language Technologies Institute in Pittsburgh, PA.
It is a continuation of the Johns Hopkins University CLSP summer workshop series from 1995-2016. It consists of a two-week summer school, followed by a six-week workshop. Notable researchers and students come together to collaborate on selected research topics. The Workshop is named after the late Fred Jelinek, its former director and head of the Center for Speech and Language Processing.
2017 Workshop Program (July 3-August 11, 2017)
Topics and Research Teams:
- Neural Machine Translation with Minimal Parallel Resources (Leader: George Foster - National Research Council Canada)
- Enhancement and Analysis of Conversational Speech (Leader: Mark Liberman - Linguistic Data Consortium)
- The Speaking Rosetta Stone - Discovering Grounded Linguistic Units for Languages without Orthography (Leader: Emmanuel Dupoux - École des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Odette Scharenborg - Radboud University Nijmegen)
Opening Day Presentations - July 3, 2017
For a map of the CMU campus, please see the Participant Information Section at the bottom of this page.
- 08:30 AM – Morning Sessions, Gates and Hillman Centers, Rashid Auditorium (4401)
- 12:15 PM – Adjourn to 407 S Craig St, Workshop Laboratory Setup, 407 S Craig St., Room 104
- 12:30 PM – Lunch on your own
- 02:00 PM – Team Meetings (in respective laboratories)
- 05:30 PM – Opening Day Picnic (RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org), Gates and Hillman Centers, 6th floor lounge and patio
Recordings of the Opening Day Presentations can be viewed here.
Plenary Letcures - Wednesdays, July 5-August 2 - Rashid Auditorium (Gates and Hillman Centers 4401)
- 10:30AM-12PM Plenary Lectures by Invited Speakers
July 5 Brian MacWhinney - "Language Learning Theory"
July 12 Luke Zettlemoyer (To be held in Wean Hall 7500)
July 19 Sharon Goldwater
July 26 Jason Pelecanos (IBM)
August 2 Emily Mower Provost
- 12:00-1:00PM Catered Lunch (Please RSVP, if not team members)
- 1:00-2:30PM Weekly Progress Meetings
Closing Presentations - August 10-11, 2017
Gates and Hillman Centers, Rashid Auditorium (4401) - Detailed schedule to follow
Farewell Dinner - August 11, 2017 (EVERYONE Please RSVP by August 7 to Jae Cho)
Summer School (June 19-30, 2017)
The summer school is meant to be an introduction to the state-of-the-art research in the speech and language technology area for graduate and undergraduate students. It also contains an introduction to this year's workshop research topics. View the program details and register here.
- View the last year's agenda and topics here.
- Click here for a description of the undergraduate program and the opportunity to apply. (Now closed)
- Apply here for NAACL-supported undergraduate spot for the summer school (Apply by Monday, May 15 2017.)
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh-University Center (1.13 Miles)
Shadyside Inn All Suites (0.70 Miles)
Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center (1.10 Miles)
Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center (0.74 Miles)
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place (0.90 Miles)
- Dining (YELP)
- Local Attractions
Heinz Field (Football)
PNC Park (Baseball)
PPG Paints Arena (Hockey)
Carnegie Museums (Art, Natural History, Science Center, The Andy Warhol)
Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
We thank our sponsors