How To Apply
Carnegie Mellon's School of Computer Science has a centralized online application process. Applications and all supporting documentation for fall admission to any of the LTI's graduate programs must be received by 11:59 a.m. EST on December 10, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We've provided an overview for you below, but you can find more information on the School of Computer Science's master's admissions and doctoral admissions pages. The application period for fall 2021 will open on August 17, 2020.
Applications are due by 11:59 a.m. EST on December 10.
- By 11:59 a.m. EST Nov. 19: $75 for one program, $50 each additional program.
- From 11:59 a.m. EST Nov. 19 to 11:59 a.m. Dec. 10: $125 for one program, $75 for each additional program.
Fee waivers may be available in cases of financial hardship, or for participants in select "pipeline" programs. For more information, please refer to the School of Computer Science Fee Waiver page.
The School of Computer Science requires the following for all Ph.D. applications.
- GRE scores: These must be less than five years old. The GRE Subject Test is not required, but is recommended. Our Institution Code is 2074; Department Code is 0402.
- TOEFL scores: Required if English is not your native language. No exceptions. These scores may be more than two years old if you have pursued or are pursuing a bachelor's or graduate degree in the United States. (While the TOEFL is preferred, the IELTS test may also be submitted.) Successful applicants will have a minimum TOEFL score of 100. Our Institution Code is 4256; the Department Code is 78.
- Official transcripts from each university you have attended, regardless of whether you received your degree there.
- Current resume.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
In addition to the SCS guidelines, the LTI requires:
- A short (1-3 minute) video of yourself. Tell us about you and why you want to come to CMU. This is not a required part of the application process, but it's strongly suggested. Note: applicants to the MCDS program should not submit a video with their applications.
- Any outside funding you are receiving must be accompanied by an official award letter.
No incomplete applications will be eligible for consideration.